With thousands and thousands of cottages across Canada, cottagers can have quite an impact on the environment. It is just as important to practice Being Green at the cottage as it is at home, maybe even more so!
- If you haven’t already replaced harsh cleaners, this spring is the time to do so. Try environmentally certified cleaners such as Down East: All Purpose Cleaner, Cream Cleaner, Laundry, Dishwashing Liquid, and Bathroom Spray Cleaner.
- Install waterless or low flow toilets and showerheads to reduce water use.
Check toilet flapper valves and washers in faucets to prevent unnecessary water from leaking into your septic.
- Jump-start your septic system. Flush EcoEthic Septic System Treatment into your system to get it up and running fast.
- Have your septic system pumped and/or inspected every three to five years by a licensed septic contractor. Is this the year? Book your pump out.
- Vacuum fridge coils. Really when was the last time you did this? Refrigerators use a significant amount of electricity and will work more efficiently when the coils are clean.
- Plant native trees and shrubs along your shoreline to improve water quality and increase natural habitat.
- Enjoy the stars. Replace old outdoor glaring lights with downward facing “Dark Sky Friendly” fixtures.