Top five things to look for when considering a composting toilet.
1. Does the unit have a drain? This is of utmost importance. MullToa Waterless Composting Toilets do not have a drain making them the ideal choice for boathouse, bunkie, cottage and cabins. MullToa electric units evaporate 100% of the liquid, the composting process is accelerated with mixing, heat and air flow resulting in humus, a dry loamy material comprised of fully broken down fecal material, paper, and nutrients.
If the toilet you are considering, has a drain or emergency overflow you can bet it will be needed one day, so do your homework first and contact your municipality to see what the local authority has to say. Many municipalities will not allow any composting toilets with drains or "overflows", and by the way, toilet waste liquid is never allowed into grey water systems or grey water pit (grey water pits are for sink and shower waste alone) or some times called a french drain.
2. Venting. Does the unit have a fan that pushes air flow up the vent pipe? MullToa Composting toilets have a patented design whereby the air is drawn up the vent by the chimney effect (the same way a chimney draws smoke). This enables the unit to be odour free when turned off and -- and even during a power outage. Toilets with inline fans or a fan that pushes/forces air upwards will not vent well during a power outage or when the unit is off.
Those are the two biggest items. Here are a few more to consider....
3. Step? Is the unit accessible to all ages, stages and abilities? MullToa units have a comfortable seat height of 19.5 inches (50cm).
4. Maintenance and attention. Does the unit require manual mixing by means of a crank handle, levers or is it automatic? MullToa Composting Toilets automatically mix the toilets contents when the seat lid is closed. Two of our models (MullToa 65 & MullToa 55) have maintenance indicators LED which light up to let your know the units requires emptying.
5. Adjust to participants. Is the unit always at maximum power or can you adjust according to number of guests? MullToa Composting Toilets are smart. All electric models have an adjustable thermostat allowing you to tailor to your own personal needs.
MullToa toilets are easy to install (and use!) have no drain, no odours, and are fully automatic.
If you have any questions please give us a call or email.